“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men and women do nothing”. Edmund Burke

Monday, December 15, 2008

An optimistic realist?

I'm having so many inward struggles right now. It's hard not to. They are all just a struggle to 'get it right', if you will. I just want to please the Lord. Yet I do this terribly. *sigh*

I'm currently struggling with the picture of Christianity that I see in some others. Perfection is used to describe everything in this person's Facebook profile. I'm all about being positive and uplifting, because of Who I find my strength in. But perfect? My life is far from it. I admire this person in many ways and I know they are doing great things. But what kind of portrayal does "perfect" have to others whose lives are not so perfect?

I feel that I am the complete opposite. I feel like I have very little "perfect" in my life. I know I'm in the middle of God's will with where I am and what I am doing with my life, and I'm just going to assume (though I do know it to be true) that the same is true in terms of being in a relationship-- God's will is that I am not in one right now, which is also fine. But when reality hits, am I just jealous? I really don't think so. I do not envy this person's position nor wish to be in their shoes. I would want to be no one but myself because although there are parts of my life that I certainly wish were different, there are also elements of my life that I would never trade for the world.

I love where I go to medical school and my friends and many parts of it. But I would never consider my experience the "perfect medical school" experience. It's hard. REALLY hard. And sometimes, I hate it. And sometimes, I feel like I suck at life. Sometimes I just wish I were anywhere but where I am. And that's real life to me. It's not always a wonderful cozy feeling. Sometimes, you just want a certain part of your life to be over. Not life in general, just certain phases. Is that wrong? Is it right? Is there such a thing as a right or wrong opinion on not loving life all the time?

I guess what I am wondering now is, where does joy that is overflowing crossover into humility of being broken? I am a child who is chosen by the King of Kings... what could bring greater excitement? Yet, nothing I have done has earned me this position. It is because of Who God is that I even have a chance. Of course, I desire to share this joy with those around me. But I'd be lying to myself (and others), if I convinced them that it meant my life suddenly became perfect.

Call me downtrodden and dark. Call me a pessimist. But I'd like to think of myself as an optimistic realist (and in some ways, an idealist).

No comments: