“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men and women do nothing”. Edmund Burke

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Post-exam weekend

Post-exam weekends are bittersweet. They are the 2.5 days of freedom after the exam. No studying required. No pressure to perform. The damage is done and you can move on. Conversely, they last for what feels like about 12 seconds. And a good portion of the weekend is trying to make up for the fact that you have been living in a whirlwind... and my apartment literally looks like a tornado hit. My laundry pile is nearly as tall as me. I've never had so many dishes in my sink at once. Quite impressive really... (no not really, for shame).

Today should be long/good/fun. Not sure more of which. I am currently baking a cake. It will (hopefully) look like a volleyball. I ate the batter for breakfast and it was pretty tasty... so I'm thinking the cake will be good. (It better for 2 sticks of butter!) I got it off the Williams-Sonoma website and since everything from there has at least 2 sticks of butter and plenty of sugar... I should be fine. I'll try to post a pic of it when I get the chance. I might put one of my stadium cake too... but the pic is on my school computer. It turned out MUCH better than last year's.

So today is the AMWA (American Medical Women's Association) volleyball tournament.... starts at 12:30. Hopefully I"ll get there on time. My cake has to cool before I can frost it, so I'm hoping that happens quickly. I'm even half tempted to set it outside, but with my luck a squirrel or some leaves or acorns would get into it. That's until 5. LONG day but should be fun. Then I have to come up with something to take to Gaby's for a game night at 7:30ish. I can't wait to play more Dutch Blitz!!

But seriously, the laundry, my bathroom, the kitchen...ridiculous. AND my roomie's parents are coming this afternoon. Why am I blogging? Peace of mind or laziness or something along those lines.

Last night at the CMA (Christian Medical Assoc.) potluck at Dr. Stine's, I took those little phyllo shells and put some brie in them with a bit of raspberry jam on top and baked them for 10 minutes. Super easy and very impressive. My friend's boyfriend told me he was sooooo glad I was going to Sarasota for 3rd & 4th years. haha And he's in luck, because I have no boyfriend to give food to. Anyway, not as many people were there but it was still a GREAT time. Annnnnnnnd, since I have been playing my piano a lot these past couple of months, I now have more music to "showcase" my talent... that I have memorized. "Hallelujah" from Shrek, "We're So Far Away" by Mae, "Frail" by Jars of Clay, and The Pink Panther theme song. haha I think I have one more, but I forget. I'm working on "Over My Head" by The Fray.

This girl Ingrid who is a grad student in the biomedical sciences and actually goes to my church, lso plays the piano. She was really good! She was convinced that I am better, but I was not. Anyway, we went back and forth and played... it was kind of like dueling pianos... and it was soooooo fun. My friends (Oh! Interjection! I can kinda play "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls too, though I don't know the entire thing yet).... anyway, my friends didn't really know how well or what kind of music I played. So now that they know, they want to do Sing-a-longs with Nicole & Rollie too! haha They were talking about how it's like the old days (think Pride & Prejudice) when t-0gpeople would just sit around and listen to people play piano and stuff. I`32222222224y7u4

Ok at this point, my cat decided it was her turn to use the computer.

Anyway, whatever I was saying earlier, it made me want to find even more sheet music... I have a few good books and some random stuff off the internet (e.g.Bohemian Rhapsody) but I want more. Well, I found TONS of free sheet music online... no, like downloading free music, it's not legal. But well, like music, I buy the stuff that is worth it to me. If it's a band I like (or in the case of sheet music, a song I really want to learn to play) then I'll buy it. If I can find it for free, it is a song I wouldn't buy anyway. Maybe it's just how I justify it to make myself feel better, but I know it's true. I could live without it. And if not, I buy it anyway.

Well, my cake is out, so I'm finishing cleaning up the kitchen, then showering and getting some black gel icing to gon on the "volleyball" cake. And it's crazy busy until tomorrow!
5\#ou

No comments: