“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men and women do nothing”. Edmund Burke

Thursday, January 13, 2011

First night shift

So last evening was my first night shift in the ED. It was pretty a pretty good night! Had some hyperkalemia (high potassium) and hypertension. It got slow so the EM doc went over how to do a central line, since he happened to have a kit with him from a lecture earlier that day. So, that turned out to be a very good thing... because a 97 year old came in intubated and the family wanted EVERYTHING done, though honestly, his body didn't look like he's been doing much "living" lately. But, he needed pressors (meds to get his BP higher) and so I got to put a central line in!  Or rather, as the ED doc said to put it "I popped a central line in him!" haha  Now, of course this poor 97 year old is basically going to be a pin cushion and sadly, may not make it out of the hospital. (If it were me and I made it to 97, I'd say, let me go!) But, it's the perfect kind of person to learn such things on because they aren't fighting you while you try to stick a needle in them.

I also got to repair a little leg laceration on this old lady. I don't think she liked me at first because it hurt to numb her up. Sorry? haha It's better than feeling the stitches go in, lady!

So all in all it ended up being a somewhat eventful night and lots fun. So back at it tonight for more! lol

No comments: