So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop and I SHOULD be studying for my exam tomorrow. But I am very troubled. This election has gotten me quite into an emotional dilemma. I was undecided just about a month ago. I had been listening to my liberal and conservative friends, taking each into consideration carefully. But as of that point, I had not looked into the candidates as much as I had wanted to yet. And it really didn't take much more than a few articles and youtube videos of various news broadcasts to make up my mind.
But just because I voted for someone, doesn't mean I expect them to win. The Republicans have everything going against them... Bush has certainly enough flaws to clearly see why. But recently, the more I encounter articles about Obama, the more concerned I am for the future. He's a liberal... ok so I disagree with him in many ways, by being basically raised in a home that has led me to lean conservatively. However, when it comes to social justice issues and environmental issues... just to name a couple, the democrats tend to be a lot more on top of things. I have every intention about touching on why Conservatives should care about social justice issues, more specifically Christians who are conservative.
When it comes down to it, there are some core issues for me that cause me to lean conservatively. And this is purely my opinion, because of my own personal experiences, biases, and beliefs... which I fully admit. Obama is black. Ok, that would make him the first black president. Yeah, it's about time. That's for sure. People argue that they don't want a Muslim president. Well, ok, first of all... he doesn't claim to be Muslim. Does that mean he's not? Not necessarily. However, even if he is (which, if he is, I don't think he should hide) that does not mean he shouldn't be president.
We are a country built on the foundation of freedom of religion. That's why people came over from England in the first place. We can claim all we want that this is a Christian nation and was founded on Christian principles. My response to that would be: No, it's not currently a Christian nation. If it were, it would be a very different place... which whether that would be better or not certainly is arguable among many. As for whether it was built on Christian principles... that is likely to be partially true. Christian principles? Yeah probably because most of the people came over for freedom of religion from the Church of England, so chances are that's what they believed to some extent and therefore would have used those principles when they began to build this country. I have heard that the founders were Deists, which is very different from what is considered to be modern-day Christianity as a whole. Whether this is true or not, I have not researched enough to know.
So back to Obama. If he is Muslim, ok fine. I know people who are Muslim. Muslim does not mean terrorist by any means. In fact, if you have read any of the Qu'ran you would read that as a whole it's a peaceful religion. Sure there are extremists... but looking into the past & present of most religions... there have been fanatics in nearly all of them.
However, when it comes to being supported, or if you prefer, being the party that is not being opposed by, Al-Quaeda. I don't feel as if it's a huge stretch to assume that if a group is opposed to your opponent, that it essentially means they support your side. From articles that I have read such as this, it would lead one to believe that this is the case. And I guess these are my feelings on the matter: I don't agree with a lot of the problems the Republican party has been at least in part responsible for. However, I do believe that a flawed tax plan is less worrisome for the future, than making friends with terrorists. Tax plans can be changed. Allowing terrorists to become involved in our government and get mixed in, would be fairly hard to come back from. But that's just my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment